I Dare You To Jump

“Mom, you wanna hear something pretty stupid? Kids can’t jump off the swings at recess or they’ll get in big trouble. I mean, what if there’s an emergency like a fire or something? I think the school should think about stuff like that.”  Jay-9

I think I might call the school and complain about their irresponsible swing policy.

This entry was posted in funny kid quotes, Humor, kids, Parenting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to I Dare You To Jump

1. I have to side with Jay on this one. Society is really trying to suck the joy out of child. Part of the fun of swinging is seeing how far you can jump.

I tried that a few years ago but my adult size butt wouldn’t let go of the swing.

3. My husband did that last year and landed on his shoulder. He still feels the pain from it today.

Or like the did at our schools….remove them completely!
    (Read your tweet about super powers….moms have ESP ya know…we know what’s going to happen before it happens.)

5. muddledmom says:

Honestly, I’m surprised they even have swings at your kid’s school. Tell him to count himself lucky! Next they’ll ban slides.

Seriously, though, my daughter got hit in the head with a swing when someone did that. It came flying back and gave her a big goose egg on her forehead. She was swinging in the swing next to it. That was some amazing swing jumping to not only jump out of a swing, but also nearly knock out your swinging partner in the process. That kid had skills.

6. Just so he can rest assured, I did some research and apparently the occurrences of actual fires around kids swing sets is very rare. But that’s still a stupid rule!

• How about fires on mulch? Did you come across that in your research because apparently you’re not allowed to run on the mulch either. He got busted for running last week and had to sit during recess. I haven’t heard the end of it. The injustice of it all!

Government schools.

Hahahahahaha… kidding.

8. Swing, Jump, Duck and Cover…
    it’s all about being prepared, right?!

9. O. Leonard says:

Another example of our attempts to “baby-proof” the world. How dangerous can it be to jump out of a swing? I’ve done it a thousand times without injury. I could probably do it today without hurting myself too much….maybe not. Swing jumping is a sport…I’m surprised they even have swings at the school anymore.

10. Seriously, I went to the school’s playground last week with my daughter and a friend of hers, and while I was sitting there along the outer ledge of the area around the swings, I notice my daughter swinging higher and higher and thinking to myself, “OMG, she’s going to jump!” (I guess maybe had I been paying attention to the fact that she had already drawn the line in the gravel to which she was going to jump over, only a foot or so away from me, I would have known this was coming!) Sure enough, she did. Before I had a chance to stop her. And it scared the living CRAP out of me as I watched her body curl up and land and slide into the gravel! SO……I can only imagine how an entire swing-set full of children threatening to “jump” would have just about any school official a little unnerved!! 😉

• How about when they wind themselves up a thousand times and then let go. It’s amazing they don’t vomit and then knock someone’s teeth out.

• Oh yeah, that’s almost as bad!! I remember the story that my Mother broke some kids leg when she was in school and they got twisted really tight and then when they were untwisting, she accidentally knocked him into the bars of the swing and broke his leg!! It’s funny how that image will scare some away, and then there are those that want to see if that could really happen!! Daredevils these days!! 🙂

My life was shattered the day they banned see saws!!!

12. Your kids seriously have a future in law. Which I hope they’ll avoid in favor of a future that’s actually awesome, like them. 😉

13. Binky says:

They should just cut down the swings as they’re much too dangerous anyway.

Oh for goodness sakes!!! I supposed next they will expect kids to wipe their noses on tissues instead of their sleeves.. The world has gone mad!!!

15. Barb says:

I no longer jump out of swings since I’ve become mortal. Thank heavens you put your kids’ conversations in here or we’d forget we used to live forever.